My mind is telling me no, but my booooody is telling me yes.
Being lactose intolerant and an ice cream addict has given me a lot of trouble. Sometimes I’ll be dying and I have no one else to blame but myself. Yet every time I keep going back for more. My self control was truly tested when I went to Italy, the home of gelato. Spoiler alert, I died every single day. Totally worth the tummy aches. Well, some of them were. I tried an assortment of flavors and decided to share my thoughts.
So heeeere weeeeee goooo….
- Chocolate over everythang. Chocolate was the most consistent flavor from shop to shop. Thicc, creamy, and everything you look for in a gelato. It mixed with other flavors well.
- Sample the banana if they have it. In Venice when I tried it, it tasted artificial. But when I had it in Rome, game changer. It was so flippin’ good. Tasted like they used real bananas and love. The gelato place actually won a Yelp award. Highly recommend their shop, you can find them here!
- Maybe this is bias but peach was easily up there. I love everything peach. Peach Bellinis to anything peach I can get my hands on at Bath and Body Works. I love peaches. So when I found peach gelato on Ischia, I had to try it. It was creamy and tasted like real ass peaches.
- There is mango gelato and there is sorbet. You’ll be able to tell when you look at it from color and texture. I use to work at Sprinkles, and I firmly believe they have one of the best mango sorbets. But, this was better. The sorbet was nice and refreshing. The gelato was even better.
- For some reason, Italians love Nutella. I mean who could really blame them. You can find Nutella in literally any shape or form out there. In terms of Nutella “hazelnut” gelato, it tasted just like it. It’s very dense and a heavier flavor.
- Kit-Kat was flight and fluffy, just like the original wafer treats.
- For strawberry, there is a sorbet and there is a gelato. I didn’t care too much for the sorbet but the gelato was tasty.
- Cream has a little egg on their description, if they have one. It tastes like custard. I had it mixed with chocolate and it complimented each other really well. It was nice addition to my daily chocolate gelato consumption.
- It was advertised as “cream” but it turned out to be vanilla. I mean, it was vanilla. It was good vanilla but at the end of the day, it was vanilla. Not the most exciting flavor there is.
- Blue vanilla is like vanilla but blue. I’m a messy eater so I looked like I made out with a Smurf. I don’t know why I thought it was going to taste different. I was blinded by the blue.
- Oh the upset. I don’t know why but I thought the mixed berry one was going to be like the Costco smoothie. Although it was suppose to be filled with fruit (strawberries, blueberries, other berries) it was candies fruits. I didn’t even finish it. 10/10 would not recommend.
I don’t know how I averaged 1.5 gelato a day but somehow I did. All in the name of research purposes, of course.